Sunday, August 23, 2009

Prayer and Airplanes

I babysit for adorable kids down the street named Zack and Ben. Yesterday, their mom told that that morning, Ben (who is 3) had gotten angry with her for not letting him go on an airplane ride. Ben’s mom had explained to him that you needed money and a ticket but Ben was determined that his mother was just being cruel. He did not know that his mother was keeping him from something that he really wanted only in his best interests.

How many times do I do the same thing? The whispered prayer, “Thy will be done,” is in constant use but rarely meant. Of course I want God’s will done! Arrogantly, I demand that he best thing for me will always be the plan I concoct. God always gives the best, right?! My human mind cannot grasp what God is doing in me and through me in this situation.

Am I just demanding an airplane ride?

9"Which of you, if his son asks for bread, will give him a stone? 10Or if he asks for a fish, will give him a snake? 11If you, then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give good gifts to those who ask him!~ Matthew 7:11

No comments: